Things to Consider when Giving Power of Attorney
Istanbul Homes advises property buyers to give power of attorney to us in order to follow the tapu transfer procedure; military checks, release of title deeds from the Land Registry and Cadastre Directorate. The giving "Power of Attorney" process takes about two hours and needs to be witnessed at a Public Notary Office. Istanbul Homes staff will provide the necessary assistance.
We remind below facts when giving Power of Attorney;
- Give "Power of Attorney" to proffessional estate agents or solicitors. If they do not know what they are doing, it is not advised to give this valuable document.
- Give only needed powers. For example, when you purchase a property, give just "Buying Property" power. If needed give also "water and electricity connection" power.
- It is NOT advised to give General Power of Attorney. General one might contain debt accepting or selling your property. This can be used against you in bad hands.
- Giving Power of Attorney means; "You may act on behalf of me for these powers" It will be your name and picture on the title deeds (tapu).
- There is a sworn translator at the Notary Public. This interpreters have officially promised to the Notary to translate just the truth. You may not bring your own translator.
Advantages of Power of Attorney
- It is easiness for a buyer. You save time and avoid additional costs like sworn translator. In order to sing for Tapu transfer or conveyancing, you need to know Turkish or you need to have a sworn translator with you. A sworn translator fee is about 100 Euro per 2 hours work
- Avoids to travel several times to Turkey. On following the tapu process, you might need to follow up your paperwork.
- Estate Agent gives Tapu process service free. To use this facility, you have to empower them with this document. They can not act on behalf of you without this document at official registry offices.